- 3 1/2 cups halved strawberries, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled stick margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Whole strawberries
- Place strawberry halves, cup sugar, orange juice, vanilla, & lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Cover and chill.
- Add flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until mixture moist. Dough will be sticky. **Note: Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups & level with butter knife when measuring.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4-5 times with floured hands. Place 1/2 cup flour in a shallow dish. Scoop 6 equal dough portions into dish. Gently shape each portion into a round by gently tossing in flour to help shape the dough. Place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Discard excess flour.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until the shortcakes are lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Split shortcakes in half horizontally using a serrated knife & place each bottom half on a dessert plate. Spoon 1/4 cup strawberry mixture over each bottom half. Top with shortcake tops & spoon 1/4 cup strawberry mixture over each top. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping. Garnish with whole strawberries.